CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Abundance

“Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend." - Sarah Ban Breathnach

Monday, July 27, 2009

Deer in the Headlights

I saw it coming. I really did. But there was nothing I could do about it.

Last week was about as bad as a week can get! Busy and stressful -- not a good combination. The a/c went out, and it took the repairman four days and two visits to fix it. We had pest control spray our house inside and out, forcing us to leave home for a couple of hours. My teenage son stepped on a stick on Father's Day, and it has been infected ever since. We had a couple of lengthy doctor's visits, as well as a couple of trips to get x-rays. It is not healing well, and my doctor informed me that he may require surgery. We don't have insurance right now, since we started our own business, and the cost would be about $10,000. Yikes! My daughter was in her first accident the other day (not her fault!) which meant I've been helping her with insurance adjusters and auto mechanics. My husband thought it would help me if we could get away, so we got a hotel on Friday. The bed was atrocious, and I did not get hardly any sleep! He took me to see Harry Potter the next day, but a 2 1/2 hour movie is not something I tolerate very well these days. (I loved the movie, though! I've read all the books.) After, we walked the mall for a little while, looking for a blender. We had an early dinner that was nice, but I ended up skipping my afternoon rest. Sunday, I not only taught the lesson for our women's group, but I also gave a talk in the main meeting when the families are all together. Sometimes I can piggy back an extra activity on top of an already busy day, if I rest enough before and after. I had accepted the assignment well before I could have known what kind of week it would be!

And ... yesterday, I had a terrible crash! Of course, I knew it was coming. I'm surprised it didn't hit me earlier. I came home from church and headed straight to my room. My husband fixed me a delicious salad and sent it up to me. My youngest was so sweet, making sure I had enough to eat, filling my water bottle, offering to share his dessert. I was woozy and passing out; I developed a migraine that prescription strength ibuprofen didn't help; my muscles AND joints were aching all over. I slept, but just a little bit. My eyes were twitching so bad, I felt almost blind! I finally fell asleep for good at 11:30 pm, and I was out cold until 9 am.

And yet, today, I am rebounding pretty well! I am taking it super easy today, of course, but I'm out of bed. I was able to change my sheets (long needed!) and do a load of laundry. I can't believe I'm not worse off today.

Something is seriously getting better. I feel like the tortoise and the hare ... and the snail. I'm at the beginning of the race, but I really think there is a finish line somewhere down this road. Yesterday was awful, but I am feeling so full of hope right now.

By the way, I did a great job with both my talk and my lesson! ;) That may have been a little help from above!

5 comments:

Lori P said...

First, your hubby sounds like a prince. Second, I'm thinking that feeling better so soon IS a very good sign. Let's hope and pray for brighter days ahead. Your attitude is always great and that makes all the difference with such a difficult disease.
Take care,
~lori

Dusty Bogwrangler said...

Faster recovery is deffo a good sign - and are you finding the lag between exertion and crash is shorter too?

Really good news. I'm very happy for you.

Pamela said...

Wow Shelli~ that's great! Not so great that you crashed (& I think we've all had that deer in the headlights effect when we knew it was coming & couldn't do anything -- feel for you there!), but that are recovering so well=)

Sue Jackson said...

WoW!!! That's a lot of activity and a whole lot of stress. I hope your son is OK and won't need that surgery. I'm not surprised you crashed either (just the mall-walking would do that alone!), but how wonderful that it only lasted a day. That's how I've been lately, too, and the quicker recoveries makes it all so much easier to take.

Take it easy!!

Sue

me/cfs warrior said...

Wow-I'm not surprised you crashed. That's a lot of stress! I hope your son's infections heals without the need for surgery...